Thursday, December 24, 2009
There are different variations of moussaka recipes, this Moussaka Recipe is with Potatoes. Enjoy the middle eastern kitchen and learn how to best moussaka. This recipe consists of potatoes, eggplant, onion, red capsicum, carrots, cinnamon, tomatoes, fresh oregano, and egg.
Ingredients (serves 6)
3 large (900g) sebago potatoes, peeled
2 (750g) eggplant, cut into
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium red capsicum, diced
2 small carrots, peeled, diced
500g lean beef mince
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup plain flour
3 cups milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Brush both sides of eggplant with 2 tablespoons of oil. Place on baking trays. Grill, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Remove to a plate. Allow to cool.
3. Heat remaining oil in a large, heavybased saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, capsicum and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 10 minutes or until mince is brown. Add cinnamon, tomatoes and 1 cup of cold water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in oregano.
4. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Whisk egg into sauce until combined.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut potatoes into 1cm-thick rounds. Place half the eggplant, in a single layer, over the base of a 9 cup-capacity baking dish. Top with half the mince mixture and all the potatoes. Spread remaining mince over potatoes. Top with remaining eggplant. Spread sauce over eggplant. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and heated through. Serve.
Vegetarian Moussaka Recipe
Save and share Potato Moussaka Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.