Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Arabic Lamb Stew Recipe
Photo: Yunhee Kim; Styling: Karen Shinto
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes)invites you to try Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Arabic Lamb Stew Recipe. Enjoy quick and easy Middle Eastern food recipes and learn how to make Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Arabic Lamb Stew.
The sweet spices in baharat were made for autumn stew.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Total: 3 Hours
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-in. chunks
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
3/4 pound shallots, peeled, cut in half if large
About 2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 tablespoons baharat
1/4 cup white basmati rice, rinsed
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
1 kabocha squash (3 1/2 to 4 lbs.)
1 1/2 tablespoons sliced chives
1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over high heat. Sprinkle lamb with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper, then brown in oil, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer lamb to a bowl and reduce heat under pan to medium-high.
2. Add shallots, 1 tbsp. oil, and 1/4 cup broth to pan; stir to loosen browned bits. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are browned, 7 to 10 minutes; add a splash of water if drippings start to get dark. Return meat to pan and sprinkle with baharat. Add 2 more cups broth, stirring to loosen browned bits. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, adding another 1/4 cup broth if pan starts to dry. Stir in rice and tomatoes and return to a boil. Meanwhile, continue with recipe.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. With a short knife, carefully cut around squash stem to make a 4-in. lid. Pry out lid with a table knife. Scrape out and discard seeds from lid and squash. Brush interior of squash and inside of lid with remaining 1 tbsp. oil, then sprinkle them with remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, tipping squash to coat evenly. Set squash on a rimmed baking sheet. Prick with a fork in a couple of spots near the top.
4. Fill squash with as much stew as fits. Set lid in place and bake until squash is just tender inside when pierced, 70 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, spoon remaining stew into a small loaf pan, cover with foil, and bake 1 hour.
5. Stir chives into stew in pan and squash. Transfer squash to a platter with 2 wide spatulas (squash may split a little; this is okay). Use a big metal spoon to scoop out squash and stew into soup bowls, adding stew from pan.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 33%
Saturated fat: 3.1g
More from the Lebanese Recipes Kitchen:
Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Frike with Meatballs Recipe
Lamb meatballs with Lebanese rice
Moroccan meatballs recipe
Moroccan meatballs with herb couscous recipe
Middle Eastern Cumin Meatballs Recipe
Save and share Stuffed Kabocha Squash with Arabic Lamb Stew Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.