Falafel maker is used to scoop up the falafel mixture to form the balls, wipe off the excess mixture and then press it out into a pot of heated oil - it’s just what’s needed to make the whole process a breeze! A Middle Eastern specialty made up of small, deep-fried croquettes or balls made of highly spiced, ground chickpeas (garbanzos). They are generally served inside pita bread, sandwich style, but can also be served as appetizers. A yogurt or tahini-based sauce is often served with falafel.
Although falafel is made from chickpeas, it can also be made from dried fava beans, with a handful of dried chickpeas sometimes thrown in. Favas have a wonderful flavor, but if you can't find them, dried white beans, such as cannellini or navy, can be substituted.
- 8 oz (225g) chick peas
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 slice of white bread, soaked in a little water
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- oil for frying
- Soak the chick peas overnight.
- Cover with plenty of fresh water and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Pound or blend the chick peas to a purée.
- Squeeze out the bread and add to the chick peas together with the rest of the ingredients. Knead well for a few minutes.
- Let the mixture rest for 1-2 hours, then roll between the palms into firm 1" balls. (Wetted hands make this easier).
- Heat oil (at least 1 inch deep) in a pan to about 360° F (180°C), and fry the balls, a few at a time, until nicely brown all over — about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Falafel can be prepared in a variety of ways even in the middle east. The spices are important and should be personalized to taste.
- Lebanese Falafel: Try the Lebanese version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Egyptian Falafel: Try the Egyptian version of doing falafel using fava beans .
- Palestinian Falafel: Try the Palestinian version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Israeli Falafel: Try the Israeli version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Falafel Sauce
- Falafel sandwiches
- BEST FALAFEL RECIPE!!!
- How to Make Falafel : Learn About Adding Bread Crumbs and Seasoning to the Falafel
- How to Make Falafel : How to Fry the Falafels
- Quick & Easy Lebanese Recipes : How to Prepare a Falafel Mix: Part 1
- Quick & Easy Lebanese Recipes : How to Prepare a Falafel Mix: Part 2
- How to Make Falafel : How to Chop the Cilantro and Mint
- How to Make Falafel : How to Assemble the Pita Pockets
- How to Make Falafel : Learn How to Mix the Cucumber Yogurt dressing