Kushari Recipe - Egyptian Kushari Recipe
For Egyptian food lovers, try an Authentic Egyptian recipe for Kushari - a traditional Egyptian dish. Learn how to make delicious Kushari. I am not including directions below how to cook the rice, you need only to cook 2 cups dry rice in your favorite chicken (or vegetable if you'd like to make a vegetarian version) stock. Depending on the type of rice used, the quantity of stock and cooking time can vary, so use the kind you like and cook it the way you like.
Ingredients - Serves 6
1 cup lentils
1 quartered garlic clove
1 tablespoon cumin
3 large onions
1 cup oil
6 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups dry rice
chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 dash lime juice 2 minced garlic cloves
1 dash yellow mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
- Chop the onions into small pieces ( I use the small electric food chopper and chop them in batches ) Reserve 1 tablespoon of the chopped onions for use later in the sauce.
- Heat the oil on med high heat, you want the oil to be very hot before putting in the onions.
- Add the onions in batches and fry until you get a deep brown (but not burned) color. You want them to be crispy. Be sure to watch them carefully as they go from medium brown to dark kind of quickly.
- Drain them onto paper towels and set aside.
- Boil lentils in water (about 4 cups) along with 1 clove garlic cut into quarters, and 1 tablespoon cumin until cooked, drain and set aside. MEANWHILE:.
- Boil the macaroni until done (about 10 min).
- Cook the rice in the chicken stock add salt if the broth is unsalted.
- Put them all together in the same pot and mix well.
- Make the sauce.
- In 1 tablespoon oil heated over medium heat add 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped onions that you reserved from before, and a dash of salt, stir and fry about 2 minute.
- Add 1 and ½ teaspoon sugar to the onion garlic mixture and mix well.
- Next, add one can 15 oz can tomato sauce.
- Now add 2 tablepoons vinegar, a small squirt yellow mustard and a dash of lime juice. You can adjust the amounts according to your personal taste but it should have kind of a slight puckery bite.
- To serve, put the kusherie onto a plate and add a SMALL amount of sauce to the top. (A little goes a long way, and you can always add more according to taste) Sprinkle the whole thing liberally with the fried onions. Mix together and enjoy!
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.