For this delicious hummus Casserole dish, we layer a little hummus on the bottom of a casserole dish, then add the pita pieces, then the rest of the hummus with toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, and parsley. We don't make this dish topped with ground beef, but that's the way it's served in most Arab homes. If you choose this option, simply cook some ground beef with diced onion and layer it on top. Try this hummus casserole recipe and bring the joy for everyone around the table.
- 1 pound ground beef (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups hummus spread
- 3 pita bread rounds
- paprika, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the ground beef and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink and onion is transparent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain fat. Season with allspice, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the pine nuts to coat with oil. Continue stirring until the nuts turn golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Assemble by spreading half of the hummus over the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Tear the pita bread rounds into pieces and layer these over the hummus. Spoon the remaining hummus evenly over the bread, then top with pine nuts. Sprinkle with paprika, half the parsley, and drizzle with lemon juice. Top with ground beef mixture and remaining parsley, and serve.